Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hiking the Y...or not.

These past few weeks Skyler and I have come to a rude awakening. We are getting really fat. We realized this when we were walking in target dream shopping just looking at things we would want to get for our very far off future house. We were walking down the home decor isle when we came to the mirrors. A 360 degree isle (of torture) where you can see yourself at every angle. We both stopped, stared and then ran out of there as fast as our chubby little bums could take us. So the next day we decided that enough is enough and we NEED to go on a diet or we WILL die. The honeymoon is OVER! (As my wonderful stepmom Cheryl would say) We have been so happy these past seven months in our blissful little married wonderland eating anything and everything in sight without even thinking about exercising. Basically we have become the marshmallow couple. (hmm..thinking of marshmallows is making me want a smoore!...SEE this is exactly what I am talking about!) Anyway, since being married both of us have gained about 20 pounds a piece. Daaang. So we decided that we are going to eat better and be more active.

So in my efforts to not be fat anymore, I decided to go hiking with my friend, Devery, up Y Mountain. I've done this hike before a couple times and it is strenuous, but not really THAT hard and I've always thought it was fun when you do it with friends. It had been maybe a year or 2 since I had last done it so I decided to do it again. This was the WORST idea I have ever had. Someone tell me WHAT was I thinking? I have gained almost 20 pounds in the last seven months and probably could count the times I have gone out to exercise on my fingers. What makes me think that I could just go walk up a mountain without wanting to DIE??? We didn't make it to the top to say the least and this morning I felt like I had been run over by a truck. It was awful. Not to mention embarrassing. So I've decided to start slow for now. I've looked up some good hiking spots online that are rated as "easy". (Anything more than that for now might kill me.) BUT..turns out Utah is great if you are looking for walking or hiking trails! I tried to go to one today with my sister in law but that didn't work out too great either. I think it would have been fine had we actually found the trail. My sense of direction is notorious for helping me get to where I do NOT want to be. After driving for half an hour looking for the trail ( I had even written down directions from mapquest...hello, how could I not find it?) we gave up and decided to try another day. I will have to convince Sky to drive me so that I will actually be able to reach the trail.

So anyway, better luck next time. Devery and I have decided to meet once a week and do some fun exercise thing together and on the days between, we will exercise on our own. So we'll see how this all works out and one day I will again be able to hike the Y (to the top).

No comments:

Post a Comment